Monday, December 15, 2008

My Favorite Sandwich Bread!

(WHY does it upload photos sideways???? I have tried 7 times and this is just the way it will have to stay since I can't fix it... anyone know how??????????)

OK, after many trial and errors and many loaves of bread my hubby didn't want to eat... I took my recipe and changed it up a bit to get a soft roll like bread that my hubby actually likes ALMOST as much as store bread! I love White Whole Wheat Flour from King Arthur. I also use their unbleached flour. Someday I will have a grain mill of my own and life with be rainbows and bluejays! But for now, this is the flour I am IN LOVE WITH! You can also use Honey instead of sugar, but we really don't care for the taste ourselves. To know if the water is WARM enough, I stick my pinky in it and if it is hot, but not too hot on the pinky (like you don't want to pull it out right away) then that is the PERFECT WARM for yeast! OH, I almost forgot... sometimes if I have POTATO WATER (water saved from cooking potatoes in) I will use that in place of the water. Yeast LOVE the starch!

My Favorite Sandwich Bread
6 C. Flour (3 unbleached, 3 Whole Wheat)
1/4 C. Melted Butter
1 C. Warm Milk
1 C. Warm Water
1 t. Salt
1 T. Yeast
3 T. Sugar
Put 1/2 the warm water in the mixing bowl. In remaining water, add 1 T. sugar and yeast. Add Warm milk, sugar, butter, and salt to mixing bowl. Add 3 C. Flour and begin mixing. When yeast mixture is bubbly, add to bowl. Add 2 more cups of Flour. Mix well. Slowly add remaining cup of flour until dough is no longer sticky. Knead for 5 min. Turn into greased bowl and let rise 1 hr. Punch down and form into 2 bread loaves. Let rise 45 min. Put into cold oven and turn oven onto 350. Cook for 30 min. Take out, brush with butter and put back into the oven for another
5 min. Turn onto cooling racks

1 comment:

Dr. White said...

That looks yummy! I've been on a bit of a bread kick myself lately. I'll have to try your recipe soon. Thanks for sharing!